Recently my husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at the The American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin. Rated the #1 Resort in the Midwest by Conde Naste Traveler in 2013, and a with both a Forbes Five Star, and AAA Five Diamond resort rating, it’s no surprise that we were treated to luxurious furnishings and outstanding hospitality. If you are looking for a place to go for a special weekend or are in the mood to be pampered, look no farther that this small village in Wisconsin. Just two and a half hours from Chicago, and an hour north of Milwaukee, sits the splurge-worthy getaway known at Kohler.
Kohler is home to it’s namesake bath products products, and since 1981 they have been in the hospitality business. The hotel and surrounding community has everything to offer visitors, world-class golf courses, The Kohler 5-Star Water Spa, The Kohler Design Center, sports center workout facility, and The Shops at Woodlake. And of course, the Tudor-style American Club originally built for immigrants who worked in the Kohler factory, which is now a luxury resort.
Here are my top 19 reasons why Kohler is a perfect for a splurge-worthy getaway weekend.
1. The room. Rooms vary at the American Club from the standard 263-349 square foot room to the 1429 square foot Presidential Suite, and everything in between. They are all lavishly decorated and comfortable with sitting areas, comfy beds, with Kohler products in the bathrooms.
3. The little extra touches in the room. Tongs for ice, wine glasses, corkscrew, slippers and a sleeve that contains the morning paper, hanging on your door in the morning.
4. The amazing bathroom full of Kohler products, complete with robes for lounging after.
5. The honor bar with all homemade Kohler snacks, and their Kohler original recipe chocolates. Chilled beverages were in a separate refrigerator under a wetbar.
6. The bedside clock. Nothing but the best in this exquisite room.
7. Nightly turndown service.
8. A Historic Hotel Tour of the building built in 1918 for immigrant workers, later updated to 5-star luxury resort. The tour is full of fascinating history. Here’s a long hallway in the conference center, which was later added to the original building.
9. Monday through Friday there is a Factory Tour where you can see how their products are manufactured. Led by friendly Kohler retirees, it’s full of interesting tidbits about Kohler history, as well as witnessing how their products are made. Highly recommended.
10. The Forbes Five-star Kohler Spa. One of only 48 Five-star spas in the world, they offer signature services such as “Riverbath for Two”, or the “Bamboo Bliss Massage”. While waiting for your appointment, or after, lounge in comfy robes and sandals provided upon arrival, and enjoy the hot tubs, sauna, steam room, and relaxation pool.
11. The gardens. Most things were done for the season when we were there, but here are a few late bloomers.
12. The GreenHouse that served complimentary coffee in the morning and tea and cookies in the afternoon, and ice cream and pastries. Also just a cute little place to hang out and relax.
13. Koehler Original Recipe Chocolates, created after CEO Herb Kohler decided the the world needed more than just a run-of-the-mill turtle. Kohler now produces it’s own signature brand chocolates.
14. The food. From room service breakfast to a casual lunch at the Horse and Plow, dinner at Whistling Straits, or brunch in the Wisconsin room, our food was consistently delicious.
15. The Wisconsin room, originally the dining room for immigrant workers, offering breakfast and Sunday brunch.
16. World famous golf courses Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run, designed by Pete Dye. Home to many PGA Championships, Whistling Straits fronts on Lake Michigan. In creating the course to look like those in the British Isles, a flock of Scottish blackface sheep are on site during golf season.
17. Yoga on the lake. Heated floors and picturesque view of Woodlake. Classes offered daily.
18. The Inn on Woodlake by Kohler offers views of the lake and hiking paths.
19. But the best reason to spend a weekend in Kohler is because of this: from the minute you arrive you will be treated like you are the most important and only guest at the resort. For a great splurge-worthy getaway weekend, you can’t beat Kohler.
Thank you to Kohler for hosting us for this unforgettable weekend. All opinions are my own.